Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Hmmm

Hello everyone. I don't have a quiet time to post today because quite honestly, I haven't been doing them as I should. It's been a struggle for me ever since I became a disciple to have quiet times every morning. Even more so now in my junior year of college, it's so difficult to put my focus on God everyday when there's fifty billion different things I have on my mind to do. Yes, I realize how important it is to spend time with God. I realize that my spiritual life is supplimented by this, but what's missing is that connection with reality for me.

I think of God and he seems like some distant entity despite that I know he's omnipresent and always near, I don't comprehend it...or more like, my mind and body don't connect it as real. I suppose it'll take a lot of prayer to change that, so I ask that you do pray for me. I've asked God for some understanding before, but I think that I really don't want it because it scares the living daylights out of me.

On top of that, I'm torn on the path my life should take (career wise). I'm in art school, but I've always been more of a performer and now I'm thinking I'd rather do that instead. But I've already invested 2 years in this place. There's also the disapproval of my family too, which weighs pretty heavy on me, although I know I should just do what's best for me regardless.

So, there is much going on with your sister. Any advice or scriptures that you might have for me, please do give them. Thanks.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello there. I go to Seattle Church of Christ, but I might be relocating to Baltimore in several mos. so I was looking at the church website. I definitely relate to your struggles, but I think I've also recently been experiencing God as more real.
1. I understand how hard it is to not have a clear career direction. I felt depressed when I was going through that, but looking back I see I didn't have to be. The Word says to pray unceasingly, which doesn't mean 24 hours a day, but means, pray until you're satisfied. Prayer is like carbohydrates and will give you strength, but you have to eat enough.

Don't forget also that Jesus' yoke is easy and His burden is light. If God's will for your life isn't clear, then perhaps it's not yet time for you to know; or perhaps you're not attuned to God's voice because of lack of spiritual discipline. Either way, take heart: In time, God answered my prayer. He will answer yours too if you persevere and keep seeking Him. He promises you will find HIm if you seek Him with all your heart.

From past experience, though, it truly is possible to delight in God even in the face of the unknown--or perhaps esp. in that situation where you're compelled to trust Him.
2. When you worship--that's praising HIm for who He is and thanking Him for all He's done, the Holy Spirit connects with your Spirit and makes God real to you. (Psalm 63-David was satisfied by worship, He tasted God's presence as being as rich as fatness and marrow).
3. Don't be discouraged if you initially don't feel like doing these things. As with many things like studying, once you start at it, you'll often find you do feel like praying once you start.
4. In Celebration of Discipline, Richard Foster recommends imagining Jesus sitting in the chair, or imagining Him in the room. Or perhaps you could imagine God embracing you. We are not fantasizing but actually seeing a reality, because He actually is with us.
5. Ask and it will be given to you. (Matt 7:7).